Getting Portable Skype on your USB Drive in 5 Easy StepsGetting Skype a little more portable by making it work from your USB Drive can be a life-saver when you're on the road or on a vacation.
It's also good if you want to show it to a friend, or maybe want to use a version that's different than the one installed.
The trick is quick simple, and depend on two paramebers which aren't very well documented
This only works with the newest version of Skype (so download the newest version from the link below), and only on Windows (the parameters probably work with mac so you'll have to figure that part and then everything else should be the same.)
- First...Download the NEWEST version of Skype (Older versions won't work) and install it on any computer as normal.
- Find the Skype.exe from where it was installed.
(Usually C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe )
- Copy the Skype.exe file to any directory on your USB Drive
- In that new directory create a directory called "data"
- Now create a file (with notepad) called "skype.bat"
- Edit the "skype.bat" file and place the following line there:
skype.exe /datapath:"Data" /removable
Just clicking on that batch file will make skype start, it'll be different version that any skype installed on the computer you're at, and will even run if skype isn't installed on that computer.
And Enjoy your portable apps!